Green bean and tomato salad 🍅
All variations of this green bean and tomato salad will be amazing. You can substitute oregano with basil, or use whole chopped tomato if that’s all you have on hand. Capers would go nicely if you are not keen on olives.
- 400g green beans trimmed and cut in half
- 200 g roma or cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 small or 1/2 chopped spanish (red) onion
- 150 g crumbled feta
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients so the flavours can combine while you prep the other ingredients. Wash beans and trim ends before cutting into half or bite-sized pieces.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil, add a generous amount of salt, then add beans and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until barely tender-crisp. (Taste a bean to be sure.) While beans cook, cut tomatoes in half.
- When beans are tender-crisp, drain into a colander placed in the sink, then rinse beans with cold water until they're cool. This is to stop the cooking process and ensure your beans don't become soggy. Drain beans again, then blot them dry with a paper towel if required.
- Combine beans, tomatoes, and olives in a salad bowl, then toss with the dressing, stirring until the vegetables are well-coated with dressing. Add crumbled feta and stir just to combine.