Beetroot, rocket and feta salad 🌱
This raw beetroot salad would have to be one of my favourite salads at the moment. It’s delicious, nutritious, good looking and so EASY to make.
This balsamic dressing is one that l use in a lot of my salads, so keep it on file. I usually don't add honey, sugar or maple syrup to my dressings, but two teeny teaspoons won't hurt anyone😉
- 3-4 tbsp pepitas, toasted in a pan or the oven
- 2 medium red beetroot, julienned or grated
- 300g rocket, roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup crumbled Dodoni feta, or similar
- ¼ cup Minos extra virgin olive oil, or similar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a small frypan or in the oven, toast the pepitas for a few minutes until they start to pop. Careful not to burn them. When done, transfer them to a plate to cool.
- Wash the beetroot until the dirt is removed from the surface.
- Cut off the roots to about 1.5cm from the bottom. This is to prevent bleeding.
- Peel the skin off the beetroot with a sharp knife or a vegetable peeler. If you like to use a mandolin, use it to slice the beetroot into thin matchsticks.
- 💁🏼♀️ Note that l have thrown my mandolin out because a few members of my family can be very clumsy at times and it's scary. I use the julienne attachment on my Magimix.
- Alternatively, you can also hand cut the beetroot by hanging on to the rough bottom end and slicing the beetroot into very thin rounds. Throw out the rough top and start slicing the rounds into long matchsticks. You can do 2 or 3 rounds at time.
- In a medium-sized serving bowl, combine the beetroot, rocket, and 3/4 of the crumbled feta and toasted pepita seeds.
- Drizzle in just enough dressing to lightly coat the salad. Mix well and then top with the remaining feta and seeds.