Beetroot Dip (Pantzarosalata) 🇬🇷
Pantzarosalata is a simple and traditional Greek dip which looks absolutely stunning, as well as being delicious and highly nutritious. Like most dips, it tastes better the next day once all the flavours have developed👌🏻 A good one to make ahead of time.
The quantity outlined below is great for entertaining. If you are preparing for the first time for a small number of people, you may like to halve the recipe.
I hope you enjoy!
- 600g beetroot
- 400g Natural Greek yoghurt like Procal
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Walnut or pistachio, crushed and sprinkled on top or included in the dip mixture
- Chopped parsley or mint
- Wash the beetroot leaving 2-3 cm of the stem intact.
- Boil in salted water for 30-50 minutes, depending on the size of the beetroot. When you can put a skewer through the middle, you know they will be soft and ready to use.
- Run the beetroot under a cold tap and rub off the skin with your hands. Also remove the tail and the stem with a knife.
- Chop the beetroot into very small pieces
- Combine the garlic, olive oil, vinegar, yoghurt and mix well.
- Combine the beetroot well with the yoghurt mixture. You can make your dip chunky or smooth. Simply blend more for a smoother and darker consistency and colour.
- Add salt and stir once more.
- Taste test to see if you have enough salt.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve with some pita bread or crackers
A detailed method of cooking beetroot and their leaves can be found here