Roasted eggplant, tomato and basil salad
This easy salad recipe is perfect for those of us who love roasted eggplant, fresh tomato and basil. A great sandwich topper or side dish to go with your lamb.
If onion upsets your tummy, you can omit it. I like the idea of adding olives or capers at the end too, and there is absolutely no harm in adding some of your favourite cheese, like feta or goats cheese.
You can layer all the ingredients or spread them out like l have.
Will serve about 6-7 people as a side dish.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 grams ripe medley or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1-2 spanish onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped capers or olives(optional)
- 2 handfuls basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red chilli, chopped (optional)
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise or crosswise and brush lightly with olive oil
- Lay the eggplant slices on the grill, and brush the tops lightly with olive oil.
- Grill about 2 minutes on each side, or until they are soft and golden brown.
- Spread over the eggplants, the cherry tomatoes, onions, basil, chilli, capers or olives.
- Mix the remaining oil with the balsamic vinegar and garlic, and sprinkle over the dish.
- Season with salt and pepper, and mix the mixture lightly, being careful not to break up the eggplant.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.