Greek White Bean Soup (Fasolatha) 🇬🇷🥕
🥕🇬🇷 Greek white bean soup (fasolatha). You could say it’s one of Greece’s national dishes......and for good reason. It’s cheap and easy to make, fills the tummy and is delicious and nutritious.
- 500g dried Orchard Valley Great Northern Beans, or a similar quality brand
- 6 cups of fresh water
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch celery (with some of their leaves), thickly sliced
- 3 carrots, large dices
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil 3 bay leaves
- 1½ cups quality tomato passata, or crush 3 large fresh ripe tomatoes in the blender
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. dried Greek oregano
- 1-2 tsp. sea salt and pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
1. Pick over and rinse the beans, discard malformed or stone-like ones. Soak the beans for at least 8 hours or overnight (preferably).
2. The next morning, drain and rinse the beans well. Place them in a large pot with just enough fresh water to cover them. Bring to a boil. You will notice that white foam will rise to the surface of the water. Remove it with a spoon and then drain and wash the beans really well in a colander. (This step is said to make the beans much easier on your stomach!)
3. Rinse and dry the pot and heat half the olive oil. Sauté the onions and add the carrots, celery, garlic and bay leaves for a few minutes.
4. Add the beans and toss gently to coat with oil.
5. Stir in the tomato and tomato paste.
6. Add the water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer soup uncovered, for 1- 1/2-2 hours, or until the beans are very tender. Just before removing from heat, adjust seasoning with remaining olive oil, salt, pepper and vinegar. Stir in chopped parsley.
6. Serve hot with some hearty bread, seasoned olives and Greek Feta cheese. You can also add chilli flakes or fresh chopped chilli 🌶.Tastes even better the next day.
My recipes always contain a higher percentage of vegetables than most others, so adjust your vegetables to your liking.
This makes 𝐚 𝐥𝐨𝐭 of soup ( serves 8 people), so halve it if necessary or share it round like l do.
Chop your vegetables however you like 😀. There are always variations, as with any recipe.