Greek Green Beans with Potatoes and Tomato (Fasolakia)🇬🇷
Fasolakia, which simply means casserole style green beans with lots of extra virgin olive oil, is a simple one pot vegetarian dish cooked in most Greek homes.
It tastes amazing with Greek feta cheese and some crusty bread. You can replace the potato with carrot and add zucchini if you like. If you do add zucchini, cut it into even size chunks and be mindful that zucchini will add more liquid to your dish, so you may need to monitor the water content. I also love this dish with lamb cutlets.
I don't need to tell you how nutritious this is and how great it tastes the next day for lunch too, so don't worry about left overs 😉
I made this dish with green flat beans lovingly grown by Sofia, my beautiful mother in law.
"I'm going to teach you Greek!" That's what Sofia would say to me when she first met me. l would just nod my head and say "I'm going to teach you English!"💁🏼♀️After 28 years, I think she is pretty pleased with me.
Hope you enjoy Fasolakia made like we do in the Fresh Connection family kitchen🌿
#pureandsimple #greengrocerslife #loveyourvegetables
- 750 g of green beans, ends trimmed, cut in two
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium size onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 medium sized Desiree or Nicola potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium sized zucchinis, thickly sliced (optional)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, chopped (optional)
- 2 x 400 g tinned tomatoes, or 6 chopped fresh tomatoes (skin removed by pouring boiling water on them)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup water (monitor this)
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Heat approx 2-3 tbs of the olive oil over a medium-high heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook till soft (approx 2-3 mins).
- Add the tinned tomatoes, water and oregano and cook for another 5 mins.
- Add the potatoes and stir thoroughly to combine. Add the green beans and zucchini on top of the potatoes.
- Add the parsley and remaining olive oil.
- Allow to cook for 15 mins, stir all the ingredients well, season with salt and pepper and lower the heat to a low setting.
- Cook for a further 50 mins with the lid on or until the beans and potatoes are tender.
- Keep a watchful eye to make sure that there is enough liquid and you don’t burn your meal.
- Serve with feta cheese and plenty of bread.