Greek Cabbage Salad (Politiki Salata)🇬🇷
Greek Cabbage Salad (Politiki Salata), is a crispy cabbage salad or coleslaw that comes in many versions. It’s origins stem from the Greeks that used to live in Constantinople, or what we now know as Instanbul.
I always use Savoy cabbage because it’s sweeter and best for cabbage salads. A little bit of purple cabbage is nice for colour too. You can grate or roughly chop the cabbage for a different look.
Coloured capsicums are almost always included and I use the sweet cutie snacking capsicums when they are available. They are honestly so tasty (and great for lunch boxes). Bullhorn capsicums are also great when they are available. ♉️
Add grated carrot, crushed garlic, olives and capers. Dress with white vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
If you have a garlic sensitivity, you can use Cobram’s garlic infused EVOO which is recommended for FODMAP diets.
Some of the other ingredients you can add to the above mentioned medley of ingredients include chopped parsley, rocket, radish, pickled peppers, and spring onion🥒
This colourful tasty salad was inspired by my recent trip to Greece. Can be eaten all year round too😘
- 1/2 small savoy cabbage, finely chopped or shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped or sliced
- 4 spring onions, chopped (include most of the green section)
- 1 lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
- 10 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine above ingredients and season to taste.