Sweet Greek 🇬🇷 Mountain Blend Rice and Lentil Salad
This recipe is from Sweet Greek “My Shared Table” by Kathy Tsaples
I asked Kathy if I could share this recipe with our customers because I love it, and she kindly said “of course”. If you haven’t been to her shop Sweet Greek at Prahran Market, you should! To say it is a feast on the eyes and palette would be an understatement👌🏽
This recipe feeds at least 6 people.
You can purchase Sweet Greek Cook Book in store, or online here
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup puy lentils
- seeds of 1 pomegranate
- 200g goat's feta, crumbled
- leaves of 6 thyme sprigs (lemon thyme only if available)
- 1/2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- 1/4 cup pepita seeds, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 4 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp vincotto or balsamic vinegar
- Gently sauté the onion in the olive oil until translucent
- Add all of the rice and coat with the olive oil and onions.
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, stir well, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- To cook the lentils, put them in a saucepan with one cup of water and simmer until cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- To assemble the salad, combine the rice, lentils, pomegranate seeds, feta, herbs, and pepita and sunflower seeds in a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together, pour over the salad and toss well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and lemon juice as required. Finish with the extra mint and parsley leaves.