Karen Martini's Cabbage, Pea, Mint, Chilli and Parmesan salad 🌶
Karen Martini's signature coleslaw salad is is a popular salad in the Fresh Connection family kitchen, so that is why l am including it on our page. We love all coleslaws, especially this one which has the pea and mint combination🌿
Savoy cabbage is what Fresh Connection would recommend you use for coleslaws because it is sweeter and more tender. If you are trying to work out which one it is, it has a looser more relaxed waffle knit texture, with pale green inner leaves, and bright green outer leaves.
Ever wondered where the word Coleslaw comes from? It comes from the late 1700s Dutch word, koolsla (kool means cabbage and sla is a contraction of salade). It sounds better when you know it's origins.
- 100g peas, podded (about 250gm unpodded) Blanch the peas for 1-2 mins, drain and refresh, drain again and reserve.
- 400g savoy cabbage, shredded
- 150g small radishes, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 cup mint, torn
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 1long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 80g parmesan, finely grated
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml lemon juice