Hellenic Republic's Cypriot Grain Salad☘️
Hellenic Republic's Cypriot Grain Salad has been a favourite for quite some time now. I always make sure that l have all the ingredients in store to make this salad, as l do with all the recipes I recommend.
It requires a little more prep than my usual style of cooking but it is a real crowd pleaser which makes it all worthwhile. I roast the nuts, deseed my pomegranate, cook the lentils and freekah the night before. On the day, I wash the herbs well of any sign of dirt, remove any ugly leaves, chop them, and finally add them to the salad with the rest of the ingredients. I omit the red onion if my guests have food sensitivities.
- 1 bunch coriander, shredded
- ½ bunch parsley, shredded
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup freekeh, (or cracked wheat)
- ½ cup du puy lentils
- 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- ½ cup currants
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 cup thick Greek Natural Yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pomegranate
- Blanch freekah and lentils separately in boiling water until both just cooked.
- Drain well and allow to cool.
- Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey until combined.
- In a medium bowl, place the coriander, parsley, red onion, freekah, lentils, toasted nuts, capers, currants, red wine vinegar and olive oil. Mix well and season to taste.
- Place into serving dish and top with cumin yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.