Broccoli Pasta with Anchovies 🥦
Broccoli pasta with anchovies is one of my favourite dishes and oh so easy to make. If you are not a fan of anchovies, you can replace them with bacon. My mum used to make the vegetarian version without anchovies or bacon and it was still delicious 🥦
Be sure you use the broccoli stems which are nutritious and full of flavour. Just trim them all over to remove the outer tough layer and then slice away.
- 500g broccoli, cut into florets, trim and slice stem
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 12 anchovy fillets
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 400g dried pasta
- 1 lemon, zest
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the extra virgin olive oil and add the anchovies, garlic and chilli flakes. Fry for 3 minutes, stirring continuously, until the anchovies start to melt into the oil.
- Add the broccoli to the pan with a dash more oil. Cook the broccoli slowly until well cooked and soft. If you want it to cook faster and stay moist, cover with a lid.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook your pasta. Stir the pasta and 3/4 cup of the pasta water into the broccoli mixture and cook for another minute. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Serve with grated parmesan over the top and finish with a grind of fresh pepper.