Nikolaos' Spanakorizo with Carrot 🥕and Chilli 🌶(Greek Rice)
The family’s head chef 👴 likes to put carrot and chilli in his spa-na-ko-rizo, and also prefers it with lots of rice.
There are many variations to this wonderful nutritious dish. Some people use brown onion or add tomato or dill and mint. Others may add an extra bunch of spinach for this quantity of rice. Make it yours and remember "practice makes perfect", or at least gives you confidence to make it easily!
- 2 medium bunches spinach
- I bunch spring onions
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium to large carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1 red chilli, chopped🌶
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups hot water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juice
- Wash the spinach thoroughly, discarding the thick hard stems. See notes at the end.
- Roughly tear up your spinach leaves and chop your onions and carrot.
- With a few tablespoons olive oil, sauté the onions in a large saucepan until translucent.
- Add the roughly cut spinach and leave it for 5-10 mins until it wilts. It may appear that there is too much spinach for the pot, but as it heats it will wilt and decrease in volume.
- Add rice and parsley on top of the spinach, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add hot water and bring to the boil, stirring well.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting, cover with lid and let it cook until the liquid is absorbed for approximately 20 mins.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow to stand for 15 mins with the lid on.
- Add remaining oil, lemon juice and tease the spinach all through the rice.
- Taste test to see if you have enough salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature with some feta and bread.
- To wash spinach, I personally fill a very large bowl with water, dunking the spinach in it and swirling it around. This has to be done a few times, with a fresh bowl of water each time, until the water in the bowl is clean and does not have any dirt or grit at the bottom. Remember to take the spinach out of the water filled bowl each time. Do not discard the water first as this will contaminate the spinach again. You may need to do these 3-4 times. Also be sure to wash you spring onions thoroughly. A lot of grit can hide in between the leaves. No one likes to eat grit.