Baked Giant Beans (Gigantes)🇬🇷
The word Gigantes comes from the Greek word for GIANTS, so it's not surprising that Greek Gigantes are giant beans. They're not that gigantic but they are a bit bigger than the rest of the bean family. You can use dried lima or butter beans if gigantes are not available.
A great tasting, nutritious dish that can be made in advance for dinners or parties where you know it won't be just the vegetarians who will appreciate your thoughtfulness. This recipe makes a large oven tray, so if it’s just two of you eating, adjust the quantities accordingly.
This recipe tastes even better the day after 😋
- 500g dry gigantes or lima beans (gigantes)
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1-2 brown onions or 1 bunch spring onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced or strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes, or 4 large fresh peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
- chilli, chopped (optional)
- large handful parsley, chopped
- Wash beans and cover them well with cold water in a large saucepan. Bring the beans to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Repeat the above process and simmer for about 20 mins or until the beans are just cooked. Discard the water and rinse the beans in cold water again.
- While the beans are simmering, chop the carrot, celery, red capsicum and onion into small pieces.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in some olive oil. Add the celery, carrot, capsicum, chilli, tomatoes, bay leaf, water and olive oil, and cook for a further 5 mins. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour drained beans into a baking dish. Add the tomato/vegetable mixture, and water. Mix well. Cook on 180 for approx 50 mins or until tender ( but not mushy). Stir at the half way mark too!
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with feta and crusty bread.
We hope you enjoy our recipe from the Fresh Connection family kitchen.
Thank you for supporting local businesses like ours🍓